Required Experience: 2 years
Job Level: Mid level
Job Type: Full Time
Industry: NGO, NPO & Charity
Valid Until: 6th September 2020
Company Name: HJFMRI
HJFMRI-T currently focuses specifically on four regions in the Southern Highlands Zone, namely Mbeya, Rukwa, Katavi, and Songwe. The program also supports TPDF to implement comprehensive HIV prevention care and treatment program in 21 sites throughout the country. Cover letters and resumes should be sent by mail through post/EMS/DHL/ or any reliable Courier to the Human Resources and Administration Manager, P.O. Box 6396, Mbeya or sent through e-mail to [email protected]
NOTE: To be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE. “CVs should not include any reference to marital status, birthplace, or tribal or religious affiliations. Any CVs containing this information will not be considered for employment”. Applications that are hand-delivered will not be accepted. The deadline for submitting the application is August 7th, 2020. Those who do not meet the minimum requirements, as detailed in the job description below, will not be considered. HJF Medical Research International, Inc. Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is seeking qualified candidates to fill the positions below:
Reports to: Laboratory Program Advisor : Viral Load and Early Infant Diagnosis of HIV
The Laboratory Program Officer’s key responsibilities will be to carry out day-to-day testing services and implement the quality management system at the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital (MZRH) and other general and specialized laboratories in the Southern Highlands Zone of Tanzania as required. In addition, the incumbent will be responsible for providing technical support to other laboratories in HJFMRI-supported facilities in clinical laboratory testing, quality management systems implementation, and on-site staff training and mentorship. Particular emphasis will be on PEPFAR-supported activities.
This position requires excellent laboratory basic knowledge and skills in applied Molecular Biology and Virology;
Clinical Chemistry; Hematology; Flow-cytology; Serology; Microbiology and Mycobacteriology in addition to competency in medical laboratory science practice. Eligible candidates will receive specialized clinical laboratory tests offered at MZRH and other facilities supported by HJFMRI. As a Medical Laboratory Technologist/Scientist, you shall work as part of a team contributing to the PEPFAR goals and objectives of HJFMRI and the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital. This position reports directly to the HJFMRI Laboratory Program Manager and secondarily to the Regional Laboratory Coordinator in the assigned region as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work at the Mbeya Referral Hospital Laboratory and other supported facilities as a Laboratory Technologist
- Carry out laboratory diagnostic and clinical monitoring tests including diagnostic Nucleic Acid PCR assays; Genotyping and Proteomics; Bacterial and Mycobacterium cultures; Clinical Chemistry analyses; Hematological tests and to perform other duties as assigned by the laboratory manager.
- Provide mentorship and onsite training to staff in peripheral supported sites on carrying out laboratory tests; equipment use and maintenance; and implementation of laboratory quality management procedures.
- Follow written Standard Operating Procedures for every aspect of pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytic phases of the testing process.
- Ensure compliance with quality assurance standards based on recommendations from the Section Supervisor and Laboratory Program Manager.
- Assist in implementing a quality management system for the Mbeya Referral Hospital Laboratory and other supported facilities, including the development of Laboratory SOPS, corrective action documentation, and other documents that are part of the quality assurance and management processes.
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of proficiency testing for EQA.
- Assist the section head institute in the departmental internal and external audits.
- Document all occurrences in the occurrence log and carry out corrective and preventive action.
- Contribute actively to departmental training programs as appropriate, and to train medical technologists within the locality national and international.
- Contribute to the goals and objectives of the HJFMRI (program review meeting, supportive supervision, data compilation), and partners’ activities.
Knowledge and Qualifications:
- A Diploma/Advanced Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology/Sciences. A degree in Medical Laboratory Technology/Sciences will be an added advantage.
- Certified Health Laboratory practitioner is an added advantage.
- Certificate/proof of registration with The Health Laboratory Practitioner's Council of Tanzania
- Knowledge and skills in Molecular Biology Manipulation processes such as Nucleic Acid Amplification and detection techniques
- Knowledge and skills in general microbiology laboratory procedures
- Knowledge and skills in general clinical chemistry, hematology, flow cytometry, and serology laboratory procedures
- Knowledge and practical experience of use of Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP) and Laboratory Quality Standards implementation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Kiswahili
- Computer Skills, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and MS Access packages.
- Be registered or eligible for registration with the Health Laboratory Technologists Council of Tanzania.
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to implement quality standards required of an ISO: 15189 accredited Laboratory following directives issued by the Section Supervisor.
- Candidates must be registered or eligible for registration with the Tanzanian Medical Laboratory