Valid Until: 10th August 2020
Company Name: Danish Refugee Council(DRC)
Job Type: Full Time
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe:
we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future.
We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. The DRC operation in Tanzania is established in October 2015. The operation is based in Nduta, Mtendeli, and Nyangusu refugee camps. The area offices are located in Kibondo and Kasulu with a country office in Dar es Salaam. DRC established the operation in Burundi in October 2018. The country program is managed from Bujumbura under the supervision of the Tanzania Country Program. Our vision is ajira a dignified life for all displaced.
All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty, and transparency.About the jobOverall purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of the Finance Manager, the Finance Assistant provides financial and administrative support to DRC and partners as per DRC and donor regulations and procedures within the Country operations in Tanzania and Burundi. The Finance Assistant contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The Finance Assistant provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.Duties and Responsibilities
Finance and accounting
- Daily accounting (bookkeeping) according to DRC operations handbook
- Manage petty cash and clear cash advances upon request
- Prepare weekly cash counts
- Maintain proper filing of all financial documentation (vouchers, contracts, tender documents, etc.)
- Cash Box counting and reconciliation according to the operations handbook
- Track and prepare monthly reconciliations for bank statements
- Process invoices and follow up with clients, suppliers, and partners as needed
- Process Payment to vendors through both bank cheques and Internet banking
- Process tax payments
- Process payment of incentive workers
- Record accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Routine record keeping and archiving
- Correctly use DRC Dynamics functionalities in area of concern
- Monitor and reconcile balance accounts
- Provide administrative support during budget preparation
- Participate in donor verifications and annual audits
- Assist with collecting, reviewing, correcting and filing all financial progress reports from the partners
- Support financial report preparations
- Submit progress and status reports
- Minimum 1 year of relevant work experience
- Experience with carrying out admin tasks
- Good communication skills
- Advanced proficiency in Excel
- Basic proficiency in PowerPoint and Word
- Well-developed organizational and planning skills in order to meet deadlines
- NGO experience
- Advanced English proficiency
- Fluency in Swahili
All DRC roles are required to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for Excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- Diploma or equivalent professional qualification
- English (Fluent, written and spoken)
- Swahili (Fluent, written and spoken)
Contract length: 1 Year renewable subject to Performance and Funding.
Location: Kibondo, Tanzania
Start date: 1st September 2020
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter (max 1 page) and an updated CV (max 3 pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications and applications sent by email will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact [email protected]
Applications close 10th August 2020.